How much does an apple weigh will depend mostly on the kind of apple. If an apple has dense inside and high water content, which gives it juiciness, it will be heavier. If the inside of an apple is less dense and the apple has a lower water content apple will be lighter. Still, do we know how much does an apple weigh on average? Let’s find out!
There are no two equal apples, therefore it is hard to determine their weight. Apples can vary in size from really small ones to big ones, and how many apples will you get in one pound mostly depends on the type of apples you’re buying.
For example, in America, according to the U. S. Apple Association the most popular type of apples is Gala. Gala is followed by Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, and Honey Crisp.
One Gala apple with skin will weigh differently, depending on its size:
|Measure & Unit name||= g||= oz|
|Cup, sliced||109.00 g||3.84 oz|
|Large||200.00 g||7.05 oz|
|Medium||172.00 g||6.07 oz|
|Small||157.00 g||5.54 oz|
On average, one medium-sized apple weighs between 70 and 100 grams. Big apple usually weighs about 145 grams (and it has 75 calories). As we can see, apples ’ weight can differ depending on the type – in big sorts, the smallest apples will weigh more than the biggest apples that come from small sorts.
Interesting fact: The heaviest apple weighed 1.849 kg (4 lb 1 oz) and was grown and picked by Chisato Iwasaki at his apple farm in Hirosaki City, Japan October 24, 2005.
Which apples are the largest?
Apples vary in colors and size. Some of the biggest sorts of apples are:
- Peasgood’s Nonesuch, which is possibly the largest one – one fruit weighs on average 1 pound or 453 grams.
- Hokuto apple is registered in Guinness World Records as the world’s heaviest apple. It doesn’t wonder that this sort is among the largest.
- Northern Spy is also among the largest sorts of apples, which are equally good when eaten fresh and used while cooking and baking.
- Cameo – surprisingly, each Cameo apple weighs approximately 0.6 pounds (272 grams)
- Cortland – on average Cortland apples weigh 0.5 pounds (226 grams)
- Baldwin – usually average Baldwin apple weighs 200 grams.
- Crimson King is usually used in apple cider production, and it belongs amongst the largest apples on the market. One Crimson King weighs about 200 grams too.
- Bramley’s Seedling is a cooking sort of apple (although it can be eaten fresh, too). One Bramley usually weighs between 200 and 300 grams.
Some of the other sorts that also have really large apple fruits are Jonagold, Braeburn, and the Goldrush apple.
How do you determine apple size?
You might wonder what is considered to be a small, medium-sized, and large apple? Apples are classified by their diameter:
- Small apples are approximately 2 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Medium apples are approximately 2 3/4 inches in diameter.
- Large apples are approximately 3 3/4 inches in diameter.